Nameboard of the ferryboat "Elizabeth"

Object Number: 
1947.410
Date: 
ca. 1904
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 15 3/4 x 120 x 1 1/2 in. ( 40 x 304.8 x 3.8 cm )
Marks: 
inscribed: "ELIZABETH"
Description: 
Long black painted wooden board with "ELIZABETH" carved in block capitals and painted with gold paint.
Gallery Label: 
This nameboard identified the ferryboat Elizabeth, built in 1904, the second of its name to ply the route between Elizabeth, New Jersey, and New York City. The steamboat belonged to Communipaw Ferry, the oldest interstate ferry company in New York Harbor. The Elizabeth served for 34 years, retiring in 1938 due to the closing of the West 23rd Street Ferry.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the New Jersey Central Railroad, through the Steamship Historical Society
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group