Overall: 9 1/4 x 9 1/4 x 5 in. ( 23.5 x 23.5 x 12.7 cm ) Silver Weight: 35 oz (troy) 1 dwt (1090 g)
engraved: in the front cartouche: "NEW YORK YACHT CLUB/ Subscription Stakes/ October 7th, 1846." in script and block letters stamped: on the base: "WM F. LADD" in roman letters in a rectangle above, "NEW-YORK" in a serrated rectangle
Cast and wrought silver presentation pitcher; octagonal body tapering toward the applied, molded rim from the applied, molded base; cast spout in the form of a dolphin and shell with foliate and ball drop; cast s-scroll handle, upper portion with shell decoration and a conch grip, lower portion with acanthus decoration; diaper and scroll decoration engraved around the base and shell and foliate scoll cartouches on each side; front cartouche engraved, "NEW YORK YACHT CLUB/ Subscription Stakes/ October 7th, 1846." in script and block letters; maker's marks stamped on the base.
In 1846, the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) held its first Corinthian Regatta, a race that required amateur yachtsmen to crew and pilot competing boats. This pitcher was presented to Commodore John Cox Stevens (1785-1857) for his victory in the race. Established in 1844, the NYYC was the first long-running association dedicated to yachting in the United States. Stevens was one of nine founders of the club, and its earliest meetings were held at his Hoboken home, Elysian Fields. The Club began the tradition of awarding race winners with silver trophies in 1845.
Puchased by the Society
John Cox Stevens (1785-1857), who married Maria C. Livingston (1790-1855); to his brother Edwin A. Livingston (1795-1868); descent unknown; purchased from Lyndhurst Corporation, 1981.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.