Plate

Object Number: 
1961.142
Date: 
1820-1840
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 7 1/4 in. ( 2.5 x 18.4 cm )
Marks: 
printed: in blue on back of plate: "COLUMBIA COLLEGE/R.S.W." in banner with flowers printed: on adhesive label on back of plate: "86" [collector's label] written: on jelly label on back of plate: "L243.11" [collector's label] typed: on note affixed to
Description: 
Molded pearlware plate with dark blue transfer print of the American Museum; oak leaf and acorn border with central image of buildings, with gate, sidewalk, and strolling figures in foreground. Printed mark on back of plate mis-identifies the view as Columbia College.
Gallery Label: 
Built in 1796 as the Alms House, by 1816 the American Museum became the New York Insitution building and housed several literary and scientific societies including the New-York Historical Society and Scudder's American Museum. This museum was well known for curiosities until 1842 when Scudder sold his collection to P.T. Barnum. The stone building at right, built in 1757, was the debtor's prison, used by the British as a military prison during the Revolutionary War.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
Provenance: 
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group