Proof of Vaccination

New-York Historical requires all visitors age 12 and over to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Read more

Window glass fragments (3) from St. Paul's Chapel

Object Number: 
Z.1422a-c
Date: 
1766
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall (a): 1/8 × 3 1/8 × 2 1/2 in. (0.3 × 7.9 × 6.4 cm) Overall (b): 1/8 × 2 1/2 × 2 1/8 in. (0.3 × 6.4 × 5.4
Marks: 
ink inscription: on note adhering to (a): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St. and Broadway, New/York, which were removed/in 1927" ink inscription: on note adhering to (b): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St.
Description: 
Three fragments of green-stained translucent glass from St. Paul's Chapel in New York City; remnants of paper around edges.
Gallery Label: 
These window fragments are from St. Paul's Chapel, which was completed in 1766 at Broadway and Fulton Streets in New York City for Anglicans living beyond convenient walking distance from Trinity Church. The Chapel, which was used for a thanksgiving service for George Washington on 30 April 1789 after his inauguration as president, is the oldest public building in continuous use in Manhattan.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group