Offsite Collections Assistant (PT)
JOB TITLE: Offsite Collections Assistant (Part-Time)
REPORTS TO: Director of the Library Digital Program
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking an Offsite Collections Assistant to help manage the receipt, tracking, delivery, and return of collections that are stored offsite. Working closely with the Collections Management Librarian, the Offsite Collections Assistant will also prepare collections that have been designated for future offsite storage and undertake other collection projects.
The position is part-time, up to 24 hours per week according to an agreed-upon schedule
B.A. in the Humanities, with preference given to candidates enrolled in a master’s program in Library and Information Science and/or Archives
- Prior experience working in a library or archive
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
- Experience searching online library catalogs and archival finding aids
- Ability to re-file and re-shelve collections according to an alphanumeric system
- Strong organizational skills essential
- Accuracy and good attention to detail essential
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills essential
- Ability to work independently as well as with other people
- Experience re-shelving, re-filing, and shelf-reading library collections
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification
- Experience with the Aeon collection management system
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Monitor incoming requests for offsite materials in the Aeon collection management system, look up barcodes in inventories of offsite materials, and enter barcodes in Aeon requests
- Communicate with Library Public Service staff regarding Aeon requests for offsite materials
- Generate call slips from Aeon
- Track requests, receipts, and returns of offsite materials in spreadsheets
- Request materials via email from the Library’s offsite storage facility
- Receive shipments of boxes of offsite materials, unpack boxes, identify requested items within them, and place boxes in appropriate holding areas
- Assist in retrieving and bringing boxes of offsite materials to researchers in the library’s Reading Room
- Repack boxes of offsite materials for return to offsite facility and coordinate pickup of the boxes
- Rehouse materials and prepare materials for future offsite storage
- Shift collections in the library stacks to accommodate new and returning collections
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position requires lifting and carrying of boxes (up to 40 pounds), retrieving boxes from shelving units, pushing and pulling fully-loaded book carts, and frequent stooping and reaching.
COMPENSATION: $20 per hour
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer