JOB TITLE: Security Officer
DEPARTMENT: Security / Operations
REPORTS TO: Director, Security Operations
The Security Officer position insures the safety of the collection, building, visitors, and staff. In this position, you will be expected to make tours of the facility and/or be stationed at a post, electronically monitor the facility, and review entry into the facility. The overall goal of a Security Officer is to maintain a safe and secure environment at all times.
- Responsible for the protection of the collection – protection from vandalism; theft; and damage from fire, floods, and other outside sources.
- Responsible for keeping all people on the premises safe and secure
- Stands at a post observing all the activity in the area
- Tours the facility observing all activity in the area
- Reacts to all emergency situations
- Maintains log of all tours
- Communicate to staff and visitors when action must be taken
- Respond quickly and immediately to any directives by the Police or Fire Departments
- Monitor the CCTV Security system and Fire Command Center
- Manage emergency evacuation when necessary
- Responsible for access control in and out of the building
- Respond in a friendly manner to visitors questions and if necessary directs them to the appropriate person or location.
- Announce all visitors who are coming to see a staff member
- When stationed at the loading dock must handle incoming phone calls
- Will occasionally be required to work at N-YHS events that are off-site. These events may include, but not limited to, Public Programs and Exhibitions
- Must have 3-5 years prior Security Officer experience
- Successfully completed the 8 hour NY State certificate required
- CCTV experience required.
- Fire Guard license preferred
- Experience with various computer applications including email required
- When monitoring Security and Fire systems must be able to dispatch personnel to area or location according to floor plan
- Must be fluent in English
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- This position will be asked to use radio equipment
- This facility has Security Officers on duty 24 hours a day. All Security Officers must be available to work all shifts.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Individual must possess visual acuity and good hearing, and must be able to stand on post for long periods of time. Walking, bending, and lifting moderate weights is also required for this position.
For consideration, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com. In the subject line please reference the job title.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.