Temporary Project Cataloger (Full-Time, 6 Months)
JOB TITLE: Temporary Project Cataloger (Full-Time, 6 Months)
REPORTS TO: Head of Cataloging and Metadata
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking a Temporary Project Cataloger to improve bibliographic control of uncataloged monographs, serials, government documents, and ephemera in advance of collections being temporarily moved offsite. Working closely with the Head of Cataloging and the Library Collections Manager, the Project Cataloger will identify uncataloged printed materials; assess the subject matter, format, and current state of bibliographic control of the materials; and create detailed inventories and collection-level catalog records using Excel and the Aleph integrated library system (ILS) cataloging module. Other tasks may include identifying uncataloged pre-1801 imprints and relocating them; recording serials holdings and adding them to records in Aleph; and participating in other cataloging and collections management projects as needed.
The position is full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, for 6 months
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Survey printed collections to identify pockets of uncataloged monographs, serials, government documents, and ephemera
- Create detailed inventories using Excel
- Create collection-level catalog records using the Aleph cataloging module
- Add serials holdings to catalog records
- Identify rare (pre-1801) imprints
- Work with Conservation staff to ensure proper handling of collections
- Coordinate with Library Collections Manager to meet project goals
- Other duties as assigned
ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent degree
- At least one year of experience as a professional librarian
- Demonstrated understanding of MARC records and AACR2/RDA cataloging
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification and subject headings
- Experience using Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as with other people
- Familiarity with Aleph cataloging software
- Experience with proper handling of rare and fragile materials
- Experience surveying collections and creating inventories
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position requires long periods of standing, frequent stooping and reaching, pushing and pulling fully-loaded book carts, and lifting boxes (up to 40 pounds.)
COMPENSATION: $25,000 for 6 months. Attractive benefits package.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer